"The employees involved have been suspended until this investigation concludes."
A senior home member has lost her life and two others are in the hospital after being poisoned by ingesting dishwashing soap. The tragic incident occurred in Atria Park of San Mateo, California.
In a statement obtained by PEOPLE, the senior home confirmed that three of their residents were "recently transported to the hospital" as a result of the incident over the weekend.
"We have been working with local authorities, who have informed us that one resident passed away," the statement continued, adding in part, "Our sincerest condolences are with the family. When this occurred, our staff immediately contacted authorities, and the residents were transported to the hospital for evaluation and treatment."
The San Mateo Police Department confirmed the news on 29 August 2022, revealing that they were called to the senior home around 8:10 om local time the day before. As a result of the incident, they "began a comprehensive investigation and learned three home care residents were hospitalized after ingesting toxic chemicals."
"Tragically, one of the three residents, a 93-year-old female, was pronounced deceased at a local hospital," they said. "SMPD Detectives are actively investigating this case jointly with the California Department of Social Services Ombudsman, and Atria Hillsdale is cooperating with this investigation."
1 dead, 2 hospitalized after seniors given dishwashing soap instead of juice.— Bonnie Towner DEMOCRAT (@BonnieTowner) August 30, 2022
How in the Hell do you mistake dishwashing liquid with juice is what I want to know???? They all say the same thing when lawsuit will be filed We respect our patients our condolences to the families.
Gertrude Maxwell, 93, is identified as the deceased resident of Atria Park by her daughter Marcia Cutchin. She told WGNTV that her mother had dementia and wasn't able to feed herself. She said, "Many people, like my mother, you have to hold a cup to her mouth and tip it into her mouth."
Melanie Fuller, Maxwell's second daughter, claims Atria Park informed her family that the occurrence was an accident and that a person suffering from dementia gave Ultra Klene to certain residents, including her mother, resulting in her hospitalization, reports San Mateo Daily Journal. She then claimed that, upon arriving at the hospital, her mother was found to be suffering from "severe blistering of her mouth and throat and esophagus."
Ultra Klene is a dishwashing liquid that is used to remove grease and stains.
In their statement, the care facility said that they are "conducting [their] own internal investigation" into the incident, "and the employees involved have been suspended until this investigation concludes."
A care home facility and local authorities are trying to learn how it happened. The woman who died was 93. The employees involved have been suspended. https://t.co/dxpGB90tnn— Alabama News Network (@ALNewsNetwork) August 31, 2022
"We will continue working with the police and Department of Social Services to fully review and assess the incident, after which we will take additional actions as needed," they continued. "The safety and well-being of our residents remain our top priorities at all times."
Representative Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Thnakr Hxm Neiym | EyeEm