He says that no matter how many things life can throw at us, we can always find happiness within ourselves... if we look for it.
Recipient of the 1989 Nobel Peace Prize, and the US Congressional Gold Medal in 2006, Dalai Lama was named one of the "Children of Mahatma Gandhi" and Gandhi's spiritual heir to nonviolence by Time Magazine. He was born as Lhamo Dhondup on July 6, 1935, in a small hamlet located in Taktser, Amdo, northeastern Tibet, according to Dalai Lama.com.
He was only two years old when he was recognized as the reincarnation of Thubten Gyatso, the 13th Dalai Lama. The monk is now recognized as the 14th Dalai Lama. He lives a simple life in the north and north-eastern part of India after fleeing from Tibet, and still is one of the most important spiritual leaders of Tibet who advocates for the welfare of Tibetans, as per Wikipedia. He also travels around the world giving Tibetan Buddhist teachings, focusing on women's rights, nonviolence, physics, astronomy, sexuality, environment, and much more.
Here are some of his quotes where he stresses on dwelling deep within ourselves to find the happiness and compassion we're searching for in this world.
1. “Let us try to recognize the precious nature of each day.”
2. "Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions."
3. "We need to learn to want what we have, not to have what we want, in order to get stable and steady happiness."
4. "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost."
5. "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."
6. "Give the ones you love wings to fly, roots to come back and reasons to stay.”
7. "We can live without religion and meditation, but we cannot survive without human affection."
8. “Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive.”
9. “Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquility and happiness we all seek.”
10. “As you breathe in, cherish yourself. As you breathe out, cherish all beings.”
11. "The more you are motivated by love, the more fearless and free your action will be."
12. "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost."
And last... but not the least:
13. "The purpose of our lives is to be happy."
Cover image source: Getty Images | Photo by Oli Scarff