Death escapes no one. Logically we know that but emotionally, losing someone can devastate us. Especially if we never got to say everything we wanted to the ones we lost.
Editor’s note: This article was originally published on July 16, 2019. It has since been updated.
It crushes you - the pain of losing your loved one. One minute they're there and the next minute...
And that may not even be the worst feeling. The regret of not having said how you really felt about them can just add to the darkness. Of course, over time, the grief doesn't go away completely but it slowly recedes. Then remembering the good moments becomes easier. However, that doesn't stop you from wishing you could talk to them just one last time.
So we asked the Women Working community — if they had the opportunity to talk to their loved one in heaven, who would they talk to and what would they say. The responses that flooded in are nothing short of emotional and as you read them, don't be surprised by the tears that form. Because you might know how it feels.
1. "My mom. I would thank her for raising me to be a strong woman and for leaving a legacy of faith, kindness, and selflessness."
2. "Dear Mum, I really do miss you, i miss your smile, your jokes you used to crack, your eyes when you want to give a sign, your beautiful voice you used to sing, give kind words, encouragement. You played a very vital role in my life. You were a mum, dad, friend, sister, and all. You taught me how to find my strength in God and to let Him lead me. And, am thankful He is doing that. You're forever missed mum.... We all miss you Annie."
3. "I would love to talk to my mother. She was so ill at the end and we had so many misunderstandings due to my ignorance and her struggle. I would love to talk to her about all of that. I also would love to talk to her about the state of the world. She was so knowledgeable about it all. I feel lost to a certain degree without her in this world anymore. And most of all I would tell her how much she meant and means to me and how I love her."
4. "My dad ..I would tell him that I will forever be grateful for the love he had given to me and that he taught me everything but he forgot to teach me how to live without him.."
5. "My papa. I will tell him that I love him so much despite of the difficulties we had on our lives before. I don't see his incapacity to provide our needs because I truly understand his situation. And I will let him know that my brother and I will always support and take good care [of] our mama."
6. "My dad..he passed when I was 18 years old..I have been without him almost 30 years. I miss him dearly..I hope he is with me all of the time."
7. "My son that died in a miscarriage 7 years ago yesterday. It's been a long time, but I still think of him. I would tell him that I love him and I am so grateful that I am his mama even if I never got to hold him in my arms. I would also tell him that I look forward to someday seeing him in person and spending eternity together!"
8. "To my darling daughters who took my breath away despite never taking one. Most people do not consider me a mother because I never got to raise you. I never had the
sleepless nights, the messes, the tantrums... I would give anything now..."
9. "My daughter - she passed in her sleep recently-I just would want one more hug!"
10. "My son Rick l would tell him l love and miss him so much he was a loving caring person who passed unexpectedly at the time l was dealing with breast cancer love mom."
11. "My late husband Jake, I would tell him how much I miss him and my life has never been the same since!"
12. "My husband Wayne and I would tell him I love him and miss him so much."
13. "My Darling husband, Being able to see and talk to you once more is a very big blessing from God .I,m ok but miss US very much. You were and still are and always will be the total love of my life. Always and Forever with me . Rest Well my love See you later."
14. "I would talk to my brother. He died way to young leaving behind 2 boys. I’d tell him I’m sorry we weren’t closer, and that it’s my biggest regret, how much I love and miss him."
15. "My little sister. I would ask her what in life was so scary for her in order for her to take her own life. Did she not even think how her loved ones would feel. What more could of we done to help her. That not one day has passed that I don't think about her. That I love her and my life is not the same with her not in it."
16. "I’d like to get the chance to speak with my late brother Louie who’s in heaven right now, I would tell him that we think of him and miss him everyday of our lives and it’s just not the same without him."
17. "My Grandma and i would tell her thank you for teaching what love really mean and my mother for her teaching that i have to work for what i want because no one is going to give me anything and i love and them all."
18. "My nana. She passed away two days after I met my now husband. I wish I could sit and talk with her about how much I've grown as a person and how much my life has changed. Everyday I
think about how much she would have loved him if she got the chance to meet him."
And what about you? If you could talk to your loved one in heaven, what would you say to them?