The toddler's aunt went to check on the couple as she had been unable to reach them for the last couple of days.
A 3-year-old boy was saved by his relative after his parents were found dead outside of their Ohio home this week, per PEOPLE. The body of his parents, Amber Barry, 35, and her partner Eddie Parthemer, 55, were discovered on the porch of their house in Mecca Township, on the afternoon of January 31, CBS affiliate WKBN reported, citing the Trumbull County Sheriff's Office.
Too many children in America are the victims of their addicted parents—who you might also say are victims of illegal drugs flowing into the country. https://t.co/BwxrikWlJL— Kelly Jane Torrance (@KJTorrance) February 3, 2023
Barry's sister went to check on the couple as she was unable to reach them. After reaching their home, she found them "slumped over" and "unresponsive" on the porch, according to portions of a 911 call published by the outlet.
She said, “I just did a welfare check on my sister because nobody’s been able to get a hold of them and they’re both slumped over on the porch unresponsive.”
Boy, 3, Saved from Ohio Home After Parents Are Found Dead on the Porch https://t.co/dzs2b6dJMT— True Crime Addict (@VelmaDinkley50) February 2, 2023
"I'm sure they're dead," the caller also said. "Evidence from the residence at this point is leading us to believe that this is a possible overdose," Maj. Tony Villanueva of the Trumbull County Sheriff's Office told WKBN. At this point, investigators don’t believe there was any foul play involved in their deaths, he added.
As per NBC affiliate WFMJ, authorities believed that the couple's 3-year-old son might have been alone for 48 hours. Villanueva told the outlet that Barry's sister saved the boy after entering the home through the window. The residence was in "deplorable conditions" with no heat, according to the official.
The toddler was taken to St. Joseph Hospital in Warren but has since been released to family members.
The boy is now with his relatives, WFMJ reports. On Facebook, a friend of the couple informed the boy was "checked out" and that he "will be OK." The friend further wrote "Gone but never forgotten," in the post, which also had a picture of the couple playfully sticking out their tongues with the child.
According to Villanueva, Barry's sister was able to prevent another death by going to check on her family members after she was unable to connect to them via phone. "Because of that gut instinct," he said, according to WKBN, "she was able to save that boy's life."
Cover Image Source: Getty Images | kali9