Parents were outraged after learning that their kids were drinking Jose Cuervo margarita mix at snack time, brought by a fellow kindergartner.
A kindergartener from Michigan reportedly brought a bottle of ready-to-drink Jose Cuervo margaritas to school, which she then passed out to multiple students to take a drink from.
The incident happened at Grand River Academy in Livonia, Michigan, where kindergartners were allegedly handed the drink by another student, according to Fox News.
Alexis Smith, a parent at the school, was left outraged after she learned that her daughter had a Dixie cup full of the mixed tequila drink and said she had 4 or 5 sips. Smith and another mom, Dominique Zanders, were baffled when they learned what happened, per FOX LA.
"She felt woozy, a little dizzy," Zanders said, adding that their daughters thought they were given juice to drink during their snack time. But, in reality, they were drinking Jose Cuervo margarita mix at snack time, brought by a fellow kindergartner.
"The girl poured it in her cup and she drank it and the girl ended up telling her what it is, and she went and told the teacher there is liquor in this cup, and the teacher gave her a funny face," Zanders said.
A kindergarten class in Michigan accidentally consumed tequila during snack time. One of the kids brought a bottle of ready-to-drink Jose Cuervo margaritas to Grand River Academy Livonia in her backpack, according to the news outlet. https://t.co/0f5iEKXTTm— Yahoo News (@YahooNews) April 16, 2022
Apparently, the girl put the liquor in her backpack and brought it to school. What's worse is that the little one knew it was alcohol. "I had a small conversation with my daughter - nothing big - and she told me the girl knew it was liquor," Smith said.
As expected, the parents demanded an answer. It's not okay for kids this young to consume alcohol, and to have it in school is something that's left a huge frown on the faces of the worried parents.
However, the school released a statement that says, in part: "While we try to keep an eye on everything our students bring to school, that’s simply not possible. It’s unfortunate that these types of adult beverages can be easily mistaken for child-friendly drinks."
Omg!— Covie (@covie_93) April 17, 2022
A kindergarten class accidentally drank margaritas during snack time. https://t.co/2XOGmedRWa
The school said they called poison control to consult regarding the next steps. Meanwhile, the school also called each parent individually to assure them that their child is alright, and also said that they would take action against the little girl who brought alcohol to school, if necessary.
But, both Smith and Zanders say it's the parents of the kindergartner who should be punished. "If your child knows what it is, nothing wrong with it - but they should know not to touch it," Smith said. "That it's not for kids."
"I'm not sure if they are short-staffed or whatever, it shouldn't have happened," Zanders said.
Representative Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Sherri Lynn Herrmann | EyeEm