According to sources, they have settled in America as their career will be focussed there.
Today, March 31, 2020, marks the end of Harry and Meghan's duties as senior members of the British royal family. They will no longer be known as the Sussexes and will now be one amongst us. In a heartfelt post, they bid goodbye to their 11 million Instagram followers and assured them that their work to make the world a better place will continue.
"As we can all feel, the world at this moment seems extraordinarily fragile," Harry and Meghan wrote in a post on their Sussex Royal account on March 30, Monday. "Yet we are confident that every human being has the potential and opportunity to make a difference—as seen now across the globe, in our families, our communities and those on the front line—together we can lift each other up to realise the fullness of that promise."
"What’s most important right now is the health and wellbeing of everyone across the globe and finding solutions for the many issues that have presented themselves as a result of this pandemic," they wrote, referring to the coronavirus pandemic. "As we all find the part we are to play in this global shift and changing of habits, we are focusing this new chapter to understand how we can best contribute."
"While you may not see us here, the work continues," they wrote. "Thank you to this community - for the support, the inspiration and the shared commitment to the good in the world. We look forward to reconnecting with you soon. You’ve been great! Until then, please take good care of yourselves, and of one another."
While their SussexRoyal Instagram account will be inactive, they plan to keep it and SussexRoyal.com website online "for the foreseeable future," Good Morning America quoted a Buckingham Palace spokesperson.
A Sussex spokesperson from Harry and Meghan's Buckingham Palace office issued their last statement on behalf of the couple on Monday, reported GMA.
"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will spend the next few months focusing on their family and continuing to do what they can, safely and privately, to support and work with their pre-existing charitable commitments while developing their future non-profit organization," the spokesperson said. "For now, there will be no additional information on their next steps."
"This is very much a bittersweet moment for Harry and Meghan," said ABC News royal contributor Victoria Murphy. "Harry was born into this life and grew up expecting to carry out duties as a working royal. He has often had conflicted feelings about the role, but to actually make that leap and walk away feels like a truly seismic moment for him and the monarchy."
She went on, "There is a lot that Harry and Meghan still feel frustrated about when it comes to the terms of their departure; however, ultimately they have secured their freedom which is what they wanted so this is also happy day for them. They will now have control over their lives and the life they want to shape for their son and that is something that is very important to them."
Besides, the couple is also working towards launching their own non-profit organization as non-royals. Catherine St-Laurent, who previously led a company launched by Melinda Gates, will serve as both Harry and Meghan's chief of staff and the non-profit's executive director, claimed GMA.
“From our very first conversation, Harry and Meghan have expressed a deep commitment to improving lives and having a positive impact on society," St-Laurent said in a statement. "Their perspective on the role that empathy, connection, and compassion can play in that mission is both deeply personal and incredibly timely. I am delighted and honored to be able to play a role in realizing their vision as they embark on this journey of learning, listening, and inspiring all of us to act.”
Apart from continuing their charitable work, Meghan may also consider returning to Hollywood full-time as now the couple has moved back to L.A. from Canada.
Recently, the trailer of Disney's documentary film Elephant was released which marked the return of Meghan Markle in Hollywood as a voiceover artist. Her first step into Hollywood again and her moving back to America is hinting at a big career plan on Meghan's end.
According to ET, the family is now settled in the Los Angeles area as their work will be focussed on the US. "It was always their plan to eventually be based in California since their work-life will be focused in the US," a source told ET.
“It’s by no means an immediate thing but there is a long-term plan to end up back in the US with a second home in Canada, where they will also spend a great deal of time. The couple used the words North America in their statement about where they planned to live deliberately. It doesn’t pin them down to any one place,” Cheatsheet quoted a source.
Not just that, in his departure announcement, Harry had stated that a decision as big as leaving his titles and ties behind stems from the need for privacy. Tearfully, he had revealed that with the constant media scrutiny his wife and family are being subjected to, he fears history repeating itself [referring to his mother's demise] and he wants to prevent it now that he could.
However, this news has not gone down well with many royal fans and followers who are of the opinion that they moving to L.A. defeats the purpose of them leaving the UK as they will be unable to avoid media gaze when in America.
On the other hand, this could be a decision towards solidifying their careers and being truly independent. We wish Harry, Meghan, and Archie a wonderful life ahead!