The couple is going to welcome their new phase in life and that includes starting a new non-profit organization on their own.
Harry and Meghan Markle, who we know as Prince and Duchess, will no longer be senior royals from April 1. The couple had announced almost a month ago that they want to step back as senior royals for a peaceful life away from media scrutiny and what they felt was harassment. It had sent the royal household into a flurry to iron out the details, some of which they had released previously. Now that the British royals have ironed out more details, they are finally being known to the world slowly.
A royal correspondent, Omid Scobie, wrote on Twitter in a series of messages about the new changes that are coming their way. While it is most likely that the young family already are in the know, the world doesn't.
"Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan’s Spring transition period will take effect on March 31. The Royal Family and Sussexes have agreed to an initial 12-month review to ensure the arrangement works for all parties,” a source told Scobie, who writes for multiple publications, including Harper's Bazaar. CNN added that the couple will no longer have an office at the Buckingham Palace come April 1. However, they will be represented in the UK through their foundation team.
They will retain other titles like Earl and Countess of Dumbarton and the Baron and Baroness of Kilkeel. The now-Duke and Duchess are going to return to the UK to finish up other engagements part of their royal duties. Harry will be meeting musician Jon Bon Jovi to re-record his song Unbroken with the Invictus Games Choir on February 28.
"Prince Harry will retain ranks of Major, Lieutenant Commander, and Squadron Leader, however, during this 12-month period his honorary military positions will not be used. No new appointments will be made to fill these roles before the review is completed," as per Scobie.
The palace has also confirmed the couple will retain their HRH (His Royal Highness, Her Royal Highness) titles, but will not actively use them.
The couple will be attending the annual Endeavour Fund Awards in London on March 5 as well as Mountbatten Festival of Music at Royal Albert Hall. They will also join the Queen and members of the Royal Family for the Commonwealth Day Service at Westminster Abbey, the royal correspondent said.
The family-of-three also plans to spend more time in the UK regularly and Harry can be expected to attend the London Marathon (in his capacity as patron). The couple will also attend the Invictus Games together in May.
The couple is also going to start a new non-profit organization, for which they wanted to use the name, Sussex Royal, which they had trademarked. However, their use of the word "royal" is contentious at this point.
"As the Duke and Duchess are stepping back as senior members of the royal family, and will work towards financial independence, use of the word 'Royal', in this context, needed to be reviewed. Discussions are still ongoing, however, a change will be announced alongside the launch of their new non-profit organization," the statement from the Buckingham Palace said, according to CNN. More details of the organization will be shared towards the end of 2020.
New from Buckingham Palace (and a few confirmations):— Omid Scobie (@scobie) February 19, 2020
Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan’s Spring transition period will take effect on March 31. “The Royal Family and Sussexes have agreed to an initial 12-month review to ensure the arrangement works for all parties,” says source.