The woman who never bends her head, never lets her knees grow weak and never backs down from a challenge; that's the woman who's inside all of us. Sometimes that strong woman takes a while to come out and sometimes she's roaring at the world, showing her worth. In honor of Women's Day, we're rounding up some of the most powerful words said by women from different kinds of backgrounds. While their stories are all different, the one thing that's the same is their sheer willpower and courage to stand up for what they believe in.
1. “I don’t go by the rulebook, I lead from the heart, not the head.” — Princess Diana
And she went on to become the people's princess, who is loved, admired and adored for the woman she was even after she passed on.
2. “The beauty in a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart; the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It’s the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows and the beauty of a woman only grows with passing years.” — Audrey Hepburn
3. “Step out of the history that is holding you back. Step into the new story you are willing to create.” — Oprah Winfrey
If you're not happy with the story you're in, start creating your own story.
4. "I don’t like to lose — at anything… Yet I’ve grown most not from victories, but setbacks. If winning is God’s reward, then losing is how he teaches us." — Serena Williams
5. "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe
6. “When I’m hungry, I eat. When I’m thirsty, I drink. When I feel like saying something, I say it.” — Madonna
Don't let anything or anyone hold you back from saying what you have to say. And never apologize for your opinions.
7. "If you’re always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be." — Maya Angelou
8 "Women have to take the time to focus on our mental health — take time for self, for the spiritual, without feeling guilty or selfish." — Beyoncé
She was the one who showed the world who's boss. But even the strongest of women need to pay attention to their mental health.
9. "I let the actions of my life stand for what I am as a human being. Contend with that, not the words." — Meryl Streep
10. “That five pounds lost won’t make you happier, that more makeup won’t make you prettier, that the now-iconic saying from Jerry Maguire — ‘You complete me’ — frankly, isn’t true. You are complete with or without a partner. You are enough just as you are.” — Meghan Markle
There will be a thousand definitions for the perfect woman. But real perfection lies when you finally love and embrace the woman that you truly are. So don't let anyone try to change you.
11. “No kind action ever stops with itself. One kind action leads to another. Good example is followed. A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees. The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves.” — Amelia Earhart
12. "Some women choose to follow men, and some women choose to follow their dreams. If you’re wondering which way to go, remember that your career will never wake up and tell you that it doesn’t love you anymore." – Lady Gaga
If you have a dream, get out there and chase it. A strong woman like you isn't afraid of a challenge.
13. “My mother told me two things constantly. One was to be a lady, and the other was to be independent." — Ruth Bader Ginsburg
14. "I don’t care what you think about me. I don’t think about you at all.” — Coco Chanel
15. "Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly?” — Frida Kahlo
You will always be remembered for being the woman you are, kind without hesitation and brave without a question. All those times when you decided to fly, thanks for taking others along with you.