Rest in power, Princess Diana.
Lady Diana Spencer was known as the people's princess. She was famous for her humanitarian work, style, and kindness, and a fearless royal who was more than willing to bend every rule for the sake of her sons. Though it's been over two decades since her unfortunate death, Princess Diana still lives on in the hearts of people who loved her.
Princess Di's love for her children is reflected in the way she raised her sons. Here are some of her best quotes on motherhood, according to PEOPLE and Bustle.
1. "I will fight for my children on any level so they can reach their potential as human beings, and in their public duties."
2. “I want my boys to have an understanding of people’s emotions, their insecurities, people’s distress, and their hopes and dreams.”
3. “I live for my sons. I would be lost without them.”
4. "A mother's arms are more comforting than anyone else's."
5. "Family is the most important thing in the world."
6. "I don't go by the rule book. I lead from the heart, not the head."
7. "Hugs can do great amounts of good, especially for children."
8. “Don’t call me an icon. I’m just a mother trying to help.”
9. "I've got two very healthy strong boys, and it's not always the case with the families I'm meeting... and I realize how incredibly lucky I am.
Princess Diana's love didn't go unnoticed, and to mark her 60th birth anniversary on July 1, 2021, Prince William and Prince Harry set their differences aside and got together to unveil their mother's statue in Kensington Palace.
"Today, on what would have been our Mother's 60th birthday, we remember her love, strength, and character – qualities that made her a force for good around the world, changing countless lives for the better," William and Harry said in a joint statement released on Thursday. The statue is installed in the Sunken Garden of Kensington Palace, which is said to have been "one of the princess's favorite locations" while she lived at the palace, according to BBC.
The statement continued, "Every day, we wish she were still with us, and our hope is that this statue will be seen forever as a symbol of her life and her legacy." While thanking the team who brought the statue and the garden surrounding it to life, the brothers also expressed their appreciation for "all those around the world who keep our mother's memory alive."
Cover Image Source: Getty Images | Photo by Hulton Archive