Toni Morrison, Writer & Activist, Dies at 88 | 15 Inspiring Quotes by Her on Love and Life That'll Lift Your Spirits
She was an iconic, strong woman, whose books and activism won accolades from those in her generation and beyond.
Writer and activist Toni Morrison was 88 when she passed away. The Nobel and Pulitzer Prize winning-author will be remembered for her contribution to literature and human rights. She had done astounding work not just in the world of literature but human rights too. She was a powerful woman who inspired many people.
Here is a collection of some of her inspiring and powerful thoughts on life and love:
1. “You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.”
2. “Freeing yourself was one thing, claiming ownership of that freed self was another.”
3. "You think because he doesn't love you that you are worthless. You think that because he doesn't want you anymore that he is right -- that his judgment and opinion of you are correct. If he throws you out, then you are garbage. You think he belongs to you because you want to belong to him. Don't. It's a bad word, 'belong'. Especially when you put it with somebody you love. Love shouldn't be like that."
4. “Love is or it ain't. Thin love ain't love at all.”
5. “Don't ever think I fell for you, or fell over you. I didn't fall in love, I rose in it.”
6. “Anger ... it's a paralyzing emotion ... you can't get anything done. People sort of think it's an interesting, passionate, and igniting feeling — I don't think it's any of that — it's helpless ... it's absence of control — and I need all of my skills, all of the control, all of my powers ... and anger doesn't provide any of that — I have no use for it whatsoever."
7. “You are your best thing.”
8. “Let me tell you about love, that silly word you believe is about whether you like somebody or whether somebody likes you or whether you can put up with somebody in order to get something or someplace you want or you believe it has to do with how your body responds to another body like robins or bison or maybe you believe love is how forces or nature or luck is benign to you in particular not maiming or killing you but if so doing it for your own good. Love is none of that. There is nothing in nature like it."
9. "Couples that enter the sacrament of marriage and are not prepared to go the distance or are not willing to get right with the real love of God cannot thrive. They may cleave together like robins or gulls or anything else that mates for life. But if they eschew this mighty course, at the moment when all are judged for the disposition of their eternal lives, their cleaving won't mean a thing. God bless the pure and holy. Amen.”
10. “Love is never any better than the lover. Wicked people love wickedly, violent people love violently, weak people love weakly, stupid people love stupidly, but the love of a free man is never safe. There is no gift for the beloved. The lover alone possesses his gift of love. The loved one is shorn, neutralized, frozen in the glare of the lover’s inward eye.”
11. “If you surrendered to the air, you could ride it.”
12. “As you enter positions of trust and power, dream a little before you think.”
13. “It is sheer good fortune to miss somebody long before they leave you.”
14. “We die. That may be the meaning of life. But we do language. That may be the measure of our lives.”
15. “Something that is loved is never lost.”